Prior to renting your rental car
You can book a rental car at Avis Car Rental in the following ways:
Part-days and rental days
Renting dayparts is based on availability and can only be arranged at the counter and may not be combined with single days (one part-day is 4 hours). Dayparts are not available at our airport locations. One rental day for vans and lorries is equal to one calendar day One rental day for passenger cars is equal to 24 hours The 24 hours for passenger cars can commence at any moment during our opening hours It is not possible to rent a passenger car, van or lorry for dayparts during the weekend.
Please do not forget to bring the documents mentioned below when you come to collect your rental car. These documents should all be in the name of the renter. Avis reserves the right to check the following information beforehand:
- Valid driver's license (held at least for 1 year)
- Renters who are residentin the Netherlands must provide proof of address in the form of a (digital) bank statement, payslip, certificate of residence, telephone subscription statement of a land-line or GSM. These documents may not be older than 30 days.
Renters who are not resident in the Netherlands are required to provide a valid passport, valid driver's license and a credit card (American Express, VISA, Eurocard / Mastercard) in their name when they come to collect their rental car. Debitcards Electron Cards and Union Pay Cards are not accepted If the driver's license has non-western text, an international driver's license is required in addition to the original driver’s license To be allowed to drive a lorry starting from the T1OR class you must be in the possession of a Driver CPC card. Please bring this card when you come to collect your lorry.
Please note! Any additionaldriver must be present when you collect your rental car And present his/her original driver’s license (held for at least 1 year).
Age/duration of driver's license
- The renter (and any additional drivers) must be in possession of the driver's license for at least one year;
- The renter (and any additional drivers) must be at least 19 years of age at the city branches and 21 years of age at our airport branches;
- Starting from the Full-size rental car category, the renter (and any additional drivers)must be at least 25 years of age;
- Avis only rents vehicles to individuals who can present a driver’s license issued in their name and valid in the Netherlands;
- The driver’s license must be issued in a Western language. If you do not have a driver’s license in a Western language, both the original driver’s license and a valid International driver’s license is obliged;
- Any driver’s license which states that it is ONLY VALID in a specific country is NOT valid in the Netherlands.
What does your rental include
- The price of your rental car includes VAT, third party insurance, standard excess risk insurance and unlimited kilometres You have the opportunity to lower the standard excess by paying an extra amount
- The price of the rental car excludes fuel costs, supplementary insurances and the cost of additional driver(s).
- A security deposit will be required for renting a car, (the amount of the deposit can be found in the booking confirmation) The excess and other related premiums will be doubled for all drivers under the age of 21
- Rates which include “unlimited mileage” may not be rented in continuous periodes. When we see that extreme kilometres are driven, we reserve the right not te extend the rental agreement and / or to enter a new rental agreement.
- The minimum security deposit for passenger cars is €275;
- The minimum security deposit for vans is €300;
- For lorries up to and including T3OK class, the minimum security deposit is €750.
- Depending on the classification of the car, you can pay the security deposit in the following ways:
- Mini or Economy class; cash, debit or credit card;
- Compact, Intermediate or Standard class; debit or credit card;
- Full Size, Premium, Luxury and Special cass); 2 credit card payments or 1 credit card and a debit card payment (all cards must be in the name of the renter);
- Passenger van (9 and 7 people); cash, debit or credit card
- Delivery van; cash, debit or credit card;
- Lorry; credit card
- At our office Amsterdam Schiphol Aiport a creditcard is mandatory
- At our offices in Rotterdam, Tilburg, Breda and Amsterdam Overtoom cash deposit are not accepted.
- At our office Amsterdam Overtoom only vans and cars in the Mini Class may be paid with a debit card, all other classes must be paid by creditcard
- At our offices in Rotterdam (excluding the aiport), Tilburg and Breda cars from the Mini, Economy and Compact Class may be paid with a debit card, for all other classes a creditcard is mandatory.
- Cash or debit card payments are exclusively accepted when the renter resides in the Netherlands and lives in the area of the Avis office of his/her choice.
- The following cards are accepted: American Express, VISA, Eurocard/Mastercard.
- Debit Cards, Electron Cards and Union Pay Creditcards are not accepted.
When you choose to pay the security deposit with a Dutch debit card, any remaining amount will be transferred to your bank account within 3 business days after the invoice date. When you choose to pay the deposit in cash, we will refund any remaining amount to you at the counter.
Do you still have to pay an amount to Avis? Then you can pay the amount at one of our branches in cash or with a debit card. You can also transfer the amount to us, stating your rental agreement number and your invoice number.
You are permitted to drive a Avis rental car from the Netherlands to Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, France, Finland, Italy, Ireland, Luxemburg, Norway, Portugal, Austria, Spain (with the exception of Ceuta en Millila), the United Kingdom, Sweden and Switzerland. We request that you advise the branch where you wish to collect the car of your intention to drive to a foreign country.
Avis reserves the right not to rent a car in certain cases.
London's Low Emission Zone (LEZ)
Most of the neighbourhoods of the inner city of London have Low Emission Zones with stringent emission standards restricting the admission of vehicles. These requirements apply to, among others, lorries, delivery vans and passenger vans. There are no physical barriers to warn road users of this, only informational signs along the road. Hence, mistakes can easily be made and the fines can run from 500 pounds and even all the way up to 1000 pounds dependent on the vehicle in question
The LEZ covers the largest part of Greater London. Within this region, cameras read the license plates of vehicles and based on this information, an automatic inspection is carried out whether or not the vehicles in question conform to the required emission standards. If the vehicle does not conform to the standard, the driver will have to pay a daily charge. For lorries and horse transport trucks, for example, the daily charge is more than €230 (200 pounds), and for driving a camper in the LEZ Zone, the driver will be charged approximately €160 (100 pounds) per day.
The best thing for you to do if you are planning on visiting London and entering a Low Emission Zone is to register your license plate prior to leaving with Transport For London (TFL) and to pay the 100 or 200 pound fee beforehand. It is possible that you may not have to pay the fee if your car complies with all of the environmental requirements.
You can only cancel reservations made online in your personal (online) account. For reservations made via one of our branches or the Call Centre, we request that you contact the branch concerned or the Call Centre at telephone number +31 (0)88 - 900 5555.
The following rules apply to cancellations:
- Up to 24 hours prior to departure, you can cancel free of charge.
- When you cancel within 24 hours prior to departure, a maximum of €50 cancellation fee will be charged
- Cancellations due to a 'no show' will result in the full amount having to be paid.
- If you have paid in advance and you cancel up to 24 hours before departure, the full pre-paid amount will be refunded to your account within 5 business days
- If you have paid in advance and return the car earlier than expected, you will not be refunded for the unused rental days.
In all other circumstances, the General Rental Conditions apply.
General Rental Conditions
Download the General Rental Conditions in PDF format below:
BOVAG rental conditions private individuals
Disclaimer and the use of the website
The content of the site is intended for informational use. The texts are copyrighted and may not be copied without permission.
We attempt to ensure that the correct and most up-to-date information is available on this website, but we cannot guarantee its accuracy and comprehensiveness. Although we make every effort in preparing this WWW site with the utmost accuracy, the possibility always exists that certain information becomes outdated and or no longer accurate. No rights can be derived from the stated information.
We accept no liability for the hyper links (links outside the domain, directing you to third party sites) and the offered information, (alleged) damage that could result from your visit (or your inability to gain access) nor the reliance on information provided on the site.
Suggestions, ideas and materials about these pages which you send to us (if not by e-mail) are, in principle, not confidential and may be used or reproduced without further permission. An exception to this is the information of a personal nature to which guidelines such as the Data Protection Act apply.
All of the information you provide us should be correct and legally valid and may not infringe on the rights of third parties. We retain the right to change the content of the site and the text of this legal statement at our own discretion at any time. For more information, please contact us via e-mail: email@example.com.
This site is published by Avis Budget Autoverhuur, Binckhorstlaan 297, 2516 BC DEN HAAG, THE NETHERLANDS, Chamber of Commerce registry number 27161331. We request that you carefully read these conditions prior to using the website. Your use of the website indicates your agreement with these conditions.
All trade marks, copyrights, data base rights and other rights of intellectual property that concern the material on this website (and concerning the organisation and the lay-out of the website) are, together with the underlying software code(s), directly owned by us or our license holders. Without our prior written consent, it is not permitted to partially or fully copy, change, alter, make public, broadcast, distribute, sell or pass on the material of this website or the underlying software code. The content of this website may, however, be downloaded, printed or copied for your personal, non-commercial use.
You may only use this website in accordance with these conditions and in any event, only for lawful and proper purposes, which means that all applicable laws, legislation and codes of practice within the Netherlands or any other jurisdiction from which you access this website must be met.
Specifically, you agree that:
- You will not post, send or distribute information on or via this website which may be damaging, obscene, offensive or otherwise unlawful
- You will not use this website to infringe upon or cause infringement upon the rights of a third party
- You will not make an unauthorised, false or fraudulent booking
- You will not use software, routine or a device to electronically or manually interfere or attempt to interfere with the controls or functionality of this website, including but not limited to, the uploading or making available of files that contain corrupted data or viruses by any means whatsoever
- You will not remove, change or interfere with the 'look and feel' of this website and the underlying software code
- You will not undertake any action that will over-tax or overload this website and the related infrastructure
- You will not obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorised access, via whatever means, to (any part of) our networks
Without prejudice to our other rights (under the law or otherwise), we reserve the right to cancel your booking without notifying you; and/or refuse you access to this site.
Changes to this website
We may, at any time and without any further notification, make changes or improvements to the information, services, products and other materials on this website. We may at any time make changes to these conditions, and any such modification will take effect immediately.
Your continued access to or use of this website will be deemed as your acceptance of the changed conditions.
Links to other websites
This website may contain links to other websites on the Internet. We do not automatically approve these websites and are not responsible for the information, material, products and services found on these websites nor those that are accessible via the websites. Your access and use of such websites shall be entirely at your own risk.
Limitation of liability
In no event will we be liable for any direct, indirect, or special damages or losses or consequential damage or losses of any kind resulting from the access to or use of this website or any information it contains, including loss of profit and the like, whether based upon breach of contract or tort (including negligence), product liability or otherwise, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
No part of these conditions shall exclude or limit our liability for damage with death as the result or any other personal damage caused by irresponsible behaviour or fraudulent misrepresentation.
You agree to indemnify us against, and hold harmless, any and all liability, losses, claims and expenses (including reasonable legal fees) related to your breach of these terms.
Processing of personal data of the renter and the driver The personal data that is stated in the contract is submitted by the rental agent as the responsible party in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act and processed as a personal registration. Based on this processing, the rental agent can carry out an agreement and can provide the renter and driver optimal service and up-to-date product information and make personalised special offers to the renter or driver. The renter or driver may object to the processing of their data for direct mailing by the rental agency and this will be honoured.
The data can also be included in the Car Rental Warning System. The Car Rental Members Association Department of BOVAG, P.O. Box 1100, 3980 DC Bunnik, the Netherlands, is responsible for processing this data in the Car Rental Warning System. The personal data of the renter or the driver will be entered in any event when the vehicle is not returned, crimes or offences are committed with the vehicle, repeated damage is done to the car due to acts or negligence by the renter or driver and when the rental price is not paid or not paid in a timely fashion. You can request information about the processed personal data and the duration of the registration and submit written opposition to the responsible party.
Booking made via this site
A booking (confirmed or not) forms an agreement for the delivery of rental services of (a) vehicle(s). An agreement is entered into at the time of rental and the laws of the country where the rental takes place will apply to that agreement. Online bookings take place in a secure environment by SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption protocol. If you have any questions/comments about the site, please send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
These conditions contain all the terms we agree upon with respect to your use of this site. No other written or verbal statement (including statements in any brochure or promotional material published by us) will comprise a part of it.