Car Hire Porto Airport
Address & Contact DetailsAeroporto Porto, Francisco Sa Carneiro, Maia, 4770 995. Tel: 351 22 943 6900
|Tuesday||07:00 - 23:59|
|Wednesday||07:00 - 23:59|
|Thursday||07:00 - 23:59|
|Friday||07:00 - 23:59|
|Saturday||07:00 - 23:59|
|Sunday||07:00 - 23:59|
|Monday||07:00 - 23:59|
Porto airport car hireStart your journey from Porto airport and explore the beautiful scenery of Portugal’s Algarve.
So what are you waiting for? Start your journey with Avis car hire today.
Plan your journey from Porto AirportAlso called Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport, Porto Airport is only 30 minutes’ drive from the town of Porto. One of the most beautiful coastal towns in the world, Porto is famed for its beautiful bridges and Baroque architecture.
A world heritage city, Porto is dissected by the River Douro giving it a picturesque look, whichever way you enter the town. The town has ancient buildings, such as Sé Catedral and the Church of São Francisco, as well as modern architectural wonders such as the Casa da Música and the Serralves Museum.
Road trips from Porto AirportPorto to Coimbra
90 minutes from Porto lies one of the oldest university towns in Europe, the riverside town of Coimbra. Head into town and you’ll be greeted by two beautiful cathedrals, one built in the Baroque fashion and the other more Roman influenced.
You’ll feel the academic influence of this student town any time of year. The streets are filled with elegant cafes, vibrant bars and political graffiti and offer a real taste of Portuguese academia.
Porto to Caminha
Just over an hour's drive (traffic dependent) from Porto is the sleepy riverside town of Caminha, one of the most historically rich, beautiful and scenic towns in Portugal.
There’s so much to see and do once you arrive in Caminha, we’d recommend starting with the main square, where you’ll get a real taste of the town. Here you’ll see the beautiful old town hall and the Misericórdia church, two must-see’s when in Caminha.
If you’re seeking something a little more active then head to the river estuary, to take part in all sorts of water-based activities including boating and windsurfing.
Porto to the Douro Valley
The Douro Valley is one of the most breath-taking and majestic drives in the whole of Portugal. The valley is famed for its wine production but there’s so much more to see on this route. Follow the river and you’ll see hundreds of vineyards dotted around, as well as towns and villages offering a true taste of authentic Portuguese culture.
Depending on traffic, getting to the Douro Valley in your Avis hire car is around 2.5 hours, but is well worth your time.
Driving rules in PortugalWhich side of the road?
In Portugal, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Mobile phones may only be used with a headset or hands-free device
- Do not use the horn in a built up area unless in danger
- If you're caught committing a driving offence, the police can issue an on-the-spot fine
- As you approach toll booths on motorways, don't use the green lanes. These are reserved for drivers using an automatic e-toll payment system. (Please speak to an Avis representative when collecting your rental car if you would like us to register you for this service)
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Rural areas: 90 km/h (55mph)
- Motorways: 120 km/h (74 mph)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 12 and less than 135cm must be seated in appropriate child restraint for their size
- Children aged under 12 are not allowed to sit in the front seat
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.