Car Hire in Copenhagen
Car hire in CopenhagenWith Avis car hire in Copenhagen, you can experience everything that Denmark's capital has to offer. Book now
Attractions in CopenhagenAs well as being the capital city, Copenhagen is the largest city in Denmark, so there is a lot to see and do here.
The Old Stock Exchange (Børsen), is an impressive and historic building dating back to 1625 and today is the headquarters for the Danish Chamber of Commerce. (Not open to the public). You should also visit the famous Hotel d'Angleterre, Charlottenborg, Kings Garden and the National Museum.
You'll find the magnificent Frederik´s Church, also known as the Marble Church, in Frederiksstaden district of the city. The building’s architectural style was inspired by St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. On weekends you can enjoy the view of the city from the top of the dome.
Other attractions are close by, such as Stroget (the longest pedestrian street in Europe) the Town Hall (Radhuspladsen), and the spectacular Kongens Nytorv (King’s New Square), where you can shop at the magnificent array of stores. Plus you can experience the Langelinie promenade, home to the most famous monument in Copenhagen, The Little Mermaid statue.
Along the quay there are many outlet stores, with lots of parking spaces for your Avis hire car. For a dose of culture, the Royal Danish Theatre (founded in 1748) offers great plays, ballets and operas.
Denmark's National Gallery holds a large collection of paintings by Danish and international artists from the 14th century to the modern day. Combine it with a visit to the Botanical Garden, which belongs to Copenhagen University, a beautiful attraction where you can discover a wide variety of plants and botanical delights, and the Rosenborg Castle, to make a great trip for all ages. Book your Avis car rental online today to make the most of Copenhagen.
Danish road rulesWhich side of the road?
In Denmark, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Motorists must always yield to bicycles
- In towns, horns may only be used in an emergency
- Give way to the right
- Mobile phones may only be used with a headset or hands-free device
- Cars and motorcycles must use dipped headlights during the day
- Danish motorways are mostly toll-free, but the two major bridges, the Oresund and Storebaelt Bridges, charge tolls
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard rental Avis vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Rural areas: 49 mph (80 km/h) or 55mph (90km/h)
- Motorways: 68 mph (110 km/h) or 80mph (130km/h)
Please be aware of changing speeds indicated by road signs.
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children under 3 must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
- Children less than 135cm must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.